Abonmarche Byce provided Architectural, Interior Design, and Engineering Services for the United Brotherhood of Carpenters Michigan Regional Council of Carpenters (MRCC) Union Hall and Apprentice Training Center in Wayland, Michigan. The new facility was constructed on an undeveloped parcel of property with new developments spanning 12 acres of the 19-acre property, with the remaining 7 acres reserved for future development. The building consists of two wings separated by a central entry gallery.
The Training Center Wing is a 148’ x 270’ x 40’ conventional steel framed building with insulated metal panel façade and membrane roof over insulated steel deck. The Training Center features a 4,200 s.f. welding lab, 30’ wide bridge crane (12 ton), and 12,000 s.f. mezzanine with classrooms beneath.
The Union Hall Wing is approximately 80’ x 130’ x 15’ conventionally steel framed building clad with architectural composite metal panels. Exterior wall infill and interior walls are light gage metal framing, and the interior incorporates standard corporate office level finishes.
The Entry Gallery and featured Large Meeting Hall are a timber framed, glass clad structure approximately 25’ in height and feature polished concrete floors in the corridors, and specialty lighting. The large meeting hall has a folding partition wall with high NRC rating, and is equipped for multi-media presentations and business fair events.
The mechanical system at Union Hall is comprised of boiler feeding VAV boxes with air handlers. A snow melt sidewalk system was also incorporated at entrances to the facility. To meet and exceed code requirements, the buildings envelope is 20% above code for thermal efficiency.
More Information on the MRCC Union Hall & Training Center:
- New Training Center for Carpenters, Millwrights Opens in Wayland – WZZM13 – April 29, 2019
- New Training Center Opens in Michigan for Carpenters, Millwrights – WXYZ Detroit – April 29, 2019
- Whitmer Hails Carpenters, Millwrights’ New Training Center as Key to Good Jobs and Strong Michigan Future – Michigan.gov – April 26, 2019
- Kalamazoo Promise Joins State’s Largest Skilled-Trades Union to Include Apprenticeships – WWMT – April 26, 2019
- $14 Million Training Center to Provide Real-World Experience in Trades – MLive – October 24, 2017