Abonmarche worked to develop a 1.5 acre expansion of Black River Park on the site of the city’s old maintenance garage. The banks along the Black River and a tributary creek needed to be stabilized to do so. A leaking underground oil pit storage tank, transformer and capacitor area caused contamination. This remediation and stabilization design were needed to prevent contamination of the Black River.
The riverbank was stabilized with the installation of stonework and vegetation. As part of the project, a universally accessible fishing platform and access paths to provide more angler and fisheries support in Black River Park were created. Expansion of the park lead to over 2,200 linear feet of public access along the Black River. The project opened up free public access to the South Haven fishery and resulted in a significant expansion to the adjacent Black River Park. To help fund the project, we assisted the City of South Haven with a Land and Water Conservation Fund grant application.
- Universally Accessible Fishing Platform
- Canoe/Kayak Launch Area
- Pedestrian Bridge over Celery Creek
- Native Species Landscaping
- Environmental Remediation
- Shoreline Stabilization
- Fishing Platform
- Full Site ADA Accessibility
More Information About Black River Fishing Platform:
- https://www.southhaven.org/things-to-do/outdoors/fishing-and-hunting/ – South Haven – n.d.
- https://www.southhavenmi.gov/parks_and_recreation/marinas.php – South Haven -n.d.
- https://www.southhaven.org/directory/black-river-park-fish-cleaning-station/ – South Haven – n.d.
- https://www.moodyonthemarket.com/south-havens-black-river-boat-launch-adds-fish-cleaning-station/ – Moody on the Market – August 15, 2019