Abonmarche Byce provided Architectural, Interior Design, Mechanical, Electrical, Civil and Structural Engineering Services for The Creamery, a Mixed-Use, multi-family, and commercial Development in Kalamazoo, Michigan. This 59,420 square foot facility is sited on the 1.33 acres that once housed the Klover Gold Creamery, bringing to the Kalamazoo Edison Neighborhood a subsidized and work force multi-family housing complex, a YWCA childcare facility and retail space.
Designed to be a three-story, LEED Platinum Certified building nestled at the intersection of Lake Street & Portage Street, The Creamery offers 48 residential units, 38 of which are rent, or income restricted to households at or below 30% of Kalamazoo County’s Area Median Income (AMI) and complying with MSHDA requirements for residential housing. The facility also includes a YWCA 24-hour Daycare with outdoor play area, as well as leasable commercial space. The residential apartments have balconies, outdoor patios, a roof top terrace, exercise room, group gathering room and common yard areas. Much of the roof top area contains photovoltaic solar panels to help supply electricity to the facility.
Site developments embrace cutting edge, low impact design methods including green roof areas and rainwater re-use systems for irrigation of landscape feature areas. The Civil site design is complimented by the inclusion of right of way streetscape improvements including re-working of street curb lines to accommodate parallel parking additions along Portage Street, enhanced streetscape plantings and curb lawn, and improved turning radius at the intersection. The overall site planning and architectural design was inspired by, and is a result of a series of community and neighborhood focused design charrettes and workshops that our team lead and conducted.
More Information About The Creamery:
- Hollander Development Announced as the Certified Green Building Award Winner for Multifamily – USGBC WM – December 5, 2022
- The Creamery – via Hollander Development
- New Creamery apartments in Kalamazoo’s Edison Neighborhood shows the issues of affordable housing – Second Wave Media – March 11, 2021
- Kalamazoo opens first 24-hour child care center in Edison Neighborhood – WWMT – March 8, 2021
- Construction finished on apartments, daycare center in Kalamazoo’s Edison Neighborhood – MLive – March 2, 2021
- Affordable housing: Kalamazoo opens its newest mixed-income apartment complex – WWMT – March 2, 2021
- $14.7 Million Creamery affordable housing development completed in Kalamazoo – MiBiz – March 2, 2021
- YWCA in Kalamazoo creates ‘career pathway’ to staff 24-hour childcare center – MLive – February 4, 2021
- 9 Projects to watch in West Michigan – MiBiz – December 6, 2020
- The Creamery October Site Update – Abonmarche Byce YouTube – October 16, 2020
- The Creamery July Site Update – Abonmarche Byce YouTube – July 29, 2020
- The Creamery June Site Update – Abonmarche Byce YouTube – June 8, 2020
- The Creamery development in Kalamazoo set to be finished January 2021 – WWMT – July 21, 2020
- Officials break ground on new affordable home project in Kalamazoo – WWMT – June 27, 2019
- With approval in hand, developers move The Creamery into the building phase – WWMT – May 27, 2019
- Child care center, 48 apartments planned in $14 million Kalamazoo development – MLive – May 23, 2019
- Mixed-Use $14.7 million Kalamazoo Creamery Project Secures State Incentives – MiBiz – May 21, 2019
- Edison Neighborhood looks forward to The Creamery – Second Wave Media – January 31, 2019