When the City of Portage was awarded State Transportation funding to transform Zylman Avenue, they hired Abonmarche to undertake the design and construction administration that would reinvent this segment of roadway. The project brought a new look and a “Complete Street” mindset to this critical link near Stryker Corporation’s Headquarters. The design involved expansion of the existing roadway, including a 64-foot boulevard, a modern roundabout, a 10-foot non-motorized path, and additional transportation improvements.
The new and larger roadway would generate 60% more runoff than the previous 2-lane section. Due to its proximity to wetlands and surface water, storm water management was a high priority. Abonmarche engineers designed a subsurface infiltration system, with special environmental baffles to capture and retain pollutants and prevent them from impacting the groundwater quality. Abonmarche also designed utility relocations to adapt existing water and sanitary infrastructure to the new roadway layout.
In addition to the many municipal infrastructure objectives, the project afforded the opportunity to relocate existing utilities underground. The new corridor has a more open and inviting appearance as well as a non-motorized trail that will link current and future inter-municipal trail networks serving the city and nearby communities.
- Roadway Reconstruction
- Stormwater Drainage
- Sanitary Sewer / Force Main
- Traffic Signal Adjustments
- Water Main
- Modern Roundabout Design
- Economic Development
- Landscape Architecture
- Native Plantings
- Low-Impact Development
- Non-Motorized Path
More Information About Zylman Avenue:
- https://wkzo.com/2021/03/10/portage-zylman-avenue-receives-apwa-project-of-the-year-award/ – WKZO – March 10, 2021
- https://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/2019/06/road-construction-closures-in-portage.html – MLive – June 14, 2019
- https://www.facebook.com/abonmarche/posts/a-reinvention-of-zylman-avenue-in-portage-michigan-by-abonmarche-brought-a-new-l/10158463927453877/ – Facebook – May 5, 2021