New Buffalo’s Whittaker Street had little curb appeal and nothing but a sea of asphalt to greet visitors. The street design catered to automobiles, had narrow sidewalks that were not conducive to commerce, and aged utilities that were failing. Abonmarche was selected to plan and lead the redevelopment effort. We delivered five project tenants:
- Create a year-round economy for the downtown area.
- Improve accessibility and pedestrian safety.
- Develop a plan which would not adversely impact overall parking availability in the downtown area.
- Create a sense of place and a destination for residents.
- Improve infrastructure (water, sanitary and storm systems)
Through a public input process, the community aligned on the project’s direction and resulted in a vibrant and inviting downtown that created space for all users, while increasing overall parking – which was critical for the community’s tourism based economy.
- Utility Repairs & Improvements
- Sidewalks Designed to Increase Pedestrian Traffic
- Ramps and Sitting Walls
- Creation of a Commerce- Friendly Environment