Abonmarche was chosen to work with South Bend Engineering Department and Community Investment staff to improve and upgrade the corridor along Western Avenue, from Falcon Street to Olive Street. The design addressed the needs of all users of the corridor including motorized vehicles, bicycles, as well as pedestrians, and provided ADA routes along the business corridor, by removing steps, ramps and other obstacles.
This project included a road diet of a previous state road from four/five lanes, to three lanes with on street parking. Bump outs were created at intersections to calm traffic, define parking areas, and reduce the length of crosswalks, for pedestrians crossing the street, which also improved the aesthetics of the corridor. A concrete overlay was used to revitalize the street where a solid road base and subgrade were present.
This project also included full concrete pavement reconstruction. Permeable pavers were used in the parking lanes to capture storm water runoff and filter it into a stone storage chamber before releasing into the adjacent ground. Abonmarche obtained easements for the City from property owners to construct wider concrete sidewalks and extend them to each store front where practical, creating an inviting environment for pedestrians. Streetlights and trees line the corridor to provide a safe, illuminated street and sidewalk.
- Road Diet
- Concrete Overlay
- Permeable Pavers
- Promoted Investments from Local Business Owners
- $1,900,000 Phase I
- $2,720,000 Phase II
- $2,700,000 Phase III
More Information About Western Avenue:
- https://www.southbendin.gov/western-avenue-streetscape-improvement-project-begins-july-1/ – South Bend – June 27, 2019
- https://southbendin.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Western-Avenue-Falcon-Dundee-Streetscape-Improvements-Fact-Sheet.pdf – South Bend -n.d
- https://www.wndu.com/content/news/New-streetscape-improvements-to-Western-Avenue-in-South-Bend-566321321.html – WNDU – December 18, 2019
- https://www.southbendtribune.com/story/news/local/2019/07/14/western-avenue-facing-some-closures-for-streetscape-work-starting-monday/117180300/ – South Bend Tribune – July 14, 2019