The Exchange Building is a 15-story mixed- use development in the urban center of Kalamazoo, Michigan. The Exchange Building houses commercial and retail lease areas on the first, second and seventh floors. Levels three through six provide secure automobile parking for commercial tenants and residential residents. Floors eight through fourteen contain residential units with a mix of one-bedroom, two-bedroom and studio apartments with views overlooking the city. The fifteenth floor accommodates corporate suites, a fitness center, as well as, landscaped and furnished rooftop terraces for tenants and residents.
The Exchange Building received a $6.4 million, Michigan Community Revitalization Program loan, as well as authorization from the Michigan Strategic Fund Board to capture $7.7 million in local and school taxes. Additionally, by way of the property tax capture through the city of Kalamazoo’s Brownfield Redevelopment Authority, the city’s Downtown Development Authority contributed tax-increment finance funding of $1.3 million and Downtown Kalamazoo Inc. provided a grant of $150,000 toward the project.
The site is located in the cultural, civic and economic heart of Kalamazoo and Kalamazoo County. It is adjacent to Bronson Park, the ‘common green’ of Kalamazoo and a short walk to the Civic Theater, Kalamazoo Institute of Arts, a plethora of unique shops, restaurants, cafe’s, and the epicenter of the Kalamazoo Craft Brewery District.
The construction systems include an auger cast pile foundation system, cast in place concrete columns, and post tensioned concrete floor decks. The exterior envelope enclosure includes pre-cast concrete panels, cast-in-place concrete walls, aluminum frame storefront systems with insulated, tinted and colored glass units. The parking decks will be screened with vertically oriented aluminum extrusions providing a decorative louvered screening effect.
More Information About The Exchange:
- Eye care provider opens in Kalamazoo Exchange building – MLive – February 12, 2020
- Tenants Move into The Exchange Building in Kalamazoo – MLive – August 2, 2019
- First Tenant Opens the Doors for Business in the Kalamazoo Exchange Building – WWMT – July 31, 2019
- Changing the Face of Downtown Kalamazoo – K102.5 – February 13, 2019
- The Exchange Building – Final Pour – Abonmarche Byce – November 21, 2018
- Exclusive look 300 feet above Kalamazoo from inside the new Exchange building – News Channel 3 – November 2, 2018
- Exchange Building Construction Progress Video – Kent Companies, Inc. – October 24, 2017
- 15-Story Exchange Building project will proceed floor by floor – MLive – October 23, 2017
- Imagine the Possibilities of Calling Downtown Kalamazoo Home Sweet Home – Kzoo Connect – July 6, 2017
- Big crowd for groundbreaking at The Exchange – WKZO – May 13, 2017
- Work begins on long-awaited Exchange Building in Kzoo – WOOD TV – May 12, 2017
- Exchange Building changes historic landscape in downtown Kalamazoo – MLive – May 10, 2017
- Construction underway on 15-story development in Kalamazoo – FOX 17 West Michigan – April 28, 2017
- Construction to begin on $52M Exchange Building in Kalamazoo – MLive – April 14, 2017
- Changes big and small coming downtown – WKZO – April 12, 2017
- Plans for 15-story Exchange Building in downtown Kalamazoo move ahead – MLive – December 20, 2016