SMC tapped Abonmarche to oversee the redesign of the university’s top-rated healthcare program hubs. Working within a campus of structures dating back to 1967, Abonmarche worked closely with SMU to identify the current shortcomings of the original building, through functional and aesthetic lenses.
Since the original building’s construction in 1967, continuous use, typical wear, and increased demand for technology have taken a toll on its condition, and the building no longer provided an elevated student experience.
A Schematic Design phase was completed following the State of Michigan Capital Outlay Design Process, and included space planning, assessment of existing conditions, and cost estimating. The renovation and addition include state-of-the-art Simulation and Skills Labs, general classrooms, faculty offices, student-faculty commons, and support spaces.
- New building and partial renovation of existing space
- Simulation and Skills Labs, classrooms, faculty offices, and commons
- Student/faculty collaboration area with upgraded furniture
- History Gallery/ Lounge
More Information About the Southwestern Michigan Nursing & Administration Building:
- https://www.leaderpub.com/2022/01/31/new-building-amplifies-smc-nursing-program/ – Leader Publication – n.d.
- https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=10154255207280969 – Facebook – February 27, 2017
- https://www.crainsgrandrapids.com/news/college-plans-9-6m-expansion-of-health-care-building/ – Crains Grand Rapids – March 3, 2017
- https://www.southbendtribune.com/story/news/education/2017/07/05/major-expansion-to-boost-nursing-programs-at-southwestern-michigan-college/45810049/ – South Bend Tribune – July 5, 2017