In the second phase of three total phases, Abonmarche completed the engineering, design and construction administration for a brand new 1-mile section of the Iron Horse Heritage Trail in Portage, Indiana. Running along the path of an old railroad from Samuelson Road to Portage Avenue, the trail property was purchased by the City of Portage with the intention of designing and building a new trail directly over the railroad bed.
The Abonmarche engineering team designed stormwater improvements, regrading the area to a hill, while also providing construction administration. The trail, now trekked by many residents and visitors of the City of Portage, was completed in Spring 2018 with federal funding through the Rails To Trails LPA program.
- https://www.inportageparks.com/Facilities/Facility/Details/Iron-Horse-Heritage-Trail-20 – City of Portage
- https://www.traillink.com/trail/iron-horse-heritage-trail/ -Trail Link
- https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/indiana/iron-horse-heritage-trail – All Trails
- https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/7082502/iron-horse-heritage-trail – Hiking Project
- https://www.nwitimes.com/iron-horse-heritage-trail/article_5c01f4cf-4496-504e-9676-65e3d9ee5e96.html -nwitimes – September 16, 2017