Providing a link between Downtown South Bend to Downtown Mishawaka
Abonmarche worked with the City’s Engineering, Community Development, and Venues Parks & Arts Departments. The project had a number of funding sources including a major parks bond and emergency funds for repair of the historic river wall. This was an important project to the City since it provided linkage of Downtown South Bend and Downtown Mishawaka by a non-motorized trail, it connected Governor Joe Kernan Park with Howard Park, and provide safe bicycle and pedestrian access to the Indiana University at South Bend campus from the Downtown area. The new trail replaces a narrow 5 foot sidewalk on the edge of the river that was not ADA compliant or safe for bicycles.
Abonmarche’s role in the project included field survey, design, permitting, river overlook nodes, and the historic river wall restoration.
Govenor Joe Kernan Trail serves as the completion of the City of South Bend’s long effort to redevelop the adjacent former intercity industrial land into a vibrant residential neighborhood along the St. Joseph River front. The investments made and the work Abonmarche performed have resulted in the finishing touches that will complete the redevelopment of the southern portion of South Bend’s East Bank Neighborhood.
- ADA Accessible
- Pedestrian Railing
- River Overlook Nodes
- Trail Lighting System
- Provides connection from Downtown South Bend & Downtown Mishawaka
- Eco-Green Rip Rap Fabric Bags for river bank protection
- Drone Photography for Inspection
- Historic Stone River Wall Repair
More Information About Governor Joe Kernan Park:
- https://www.abc57.com/news/governor-joe-kernan-park-upgrade-ribbon-cutting – ABC 57 – July 21, 2021
- https://www.wndu.com/2021/07/21/improvements-gov-joe-kernan-park-celebrated/ – WNDU – July 21, 2021
- https://sbvpa.org/places/gov-joe-kernan-park/ – SBVPA – n.d